Sunday 22 May 2011

O Captain! My Captain! J.S.

In this poem by Walt Whitman he is reffering to Abraham Licoln as his captain, his rolemodel, his dream. Abraham Licoln was Walt's captain because he was brave, he told the truth, and stood up for his people.
O Captain! My Captain! makes me feel despondent, I don't like the feeling that someone would commit murder, or even think of that. I feel bad for Walt Whitman because when you believe in someone and they make your dreams come true, when they die you feel like your dreams are crushed and you have nothing left. I feel this way when I read the poem because of all the descriptive words used in the poem, that make it like a story. The words and phrases that sugest how Walt Whitman is feeling are mainly in the last two verses, one of my favorites is
O Captain! my Captain! rise up and hear the bells;
Rise up--for you the flag is flung for you the bugle trills,
For you bouquets and ribboned wreaths for you the shores a-crowding,
For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning;
Here Captain! dear father!
This arm beneath your head!
It is some dream that on the deck,
You've fallen cold and dead.

I think this shows how Walt Whitman feels because it sounds like he is trying to wake Abraham up from slumber, with no hope that it will ever work, also he talks a little bit about a funeral, and how he should come back and see how much everyone loved him. And when Walt calls him father that shows that they have such a good relationship, and Walt really feels upset about his death.

No comments:

Post a Comment