Thursday 19 May 2011

"O Captain! My Captain!" Response - L.I.

          "O Captain! My Captain!" made me feel almost sad and also a bit creeped out when it said,
"But O heart! Heart! Heart! O the bleeding drops of red, where on the deck my Captain lies, fallen cold and dead." because I wasn't expecting it to be that type of poem. When I read the title I was kind of expecting more of a sea voyage poem.

          I think Walt Whitman was referring to U.S. President Abraham Lincoln in this poem. I also think that Whitman must have felt a strong connection to Lincoln because he called him "father". Another phrase that suggests Whitman's feeling toward Lincoln was when he wrote,"O Captain! My Captain! Rise up and hear the bells; rise up-for you the flag is flung-for you the bugle trills; for you bouquets and ribbon'd wreaths -for you the shores a-crowding; for you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning; Here Captain! Dear father! This arm beneath your head; it is some dream that on the deck, you've fallen cold and dead."

No comments:

Post a Comment